Middle East
Central Asia
Asia Pacific
Americas and the Caribbean
Sign In Sign Up


Anna Glinkina
Манчестерская Художественная Школа
November 10, 2016 10:00
Student Accommodation

Student Accommodation

There are several options you can choose from when looking for student accommodation in the UK. Most Universities in the UK have their own student accommodation, usually called Student Halls of Residence. Other options are: independent Student Halls that are similar, but not run by a University, and “private sector” – shared houses and apartments provided by private landlords.

Prices obviously differ from city to city, so make sure you research it before choosing where you want to study.

Most often University Halls are separate apartment blocks near campus, with self-catering shared apartments. Students would normally have a private room or en-suit, shared kitchen and social areas. Halls usually have 24/7 security, CCTV, fully equipped kitchens (except kitchenware), wi-fi, TV.

The cost depends on various factors, like: location, size of rooms, additional features, number of people sharing an apartment.

Private Halls are generally very similar to University Halls, and often can be booked through the University as well.

Some students, especially postgraduate, prefer to be a bit more independent and go for private accommodation. This means renting a room in a house or apartment from a private landlord, alongside other students. There are a number of services that help find student accommodation in the UK. My advice would be to only use those, that are approved by your University, and never to use “free” online websites, as there is a considerable chance of fraud.

When choosing an apartment, check how many people will be sharing, make sure they are all students, and obviously, read the contract carefully for terms and conditions.

Some things to pay attention to are:

  • what is covered by insurance,
  • if utility bills are included in the rent
  • contract termination terms (if you decide to move out early)
  • council tax (students are usually exempt from paying it, but good to double check).

Manchester, where I studied, has two major Universities, situated in the very city centre, hence there are plenty of Halls around. To get an idea what Halls are like, have a look at Manchester Metropolitan University Accommodation website, where you can find detailed information on University Halls, their Partner’s accommodation and more tips on finding a student home.

Read the article in Russian: Студенческое жилье

Тема: Where to Study       Теги: Education UK

1 1640 1

You should be signed in to comment this post.

Sign in to leave comment

Sing in
Your region
Choose another region Yes, that's correct
Sign In
Sign Up
I am
Congrats Account was created successfully, activation link was sent to your email Sign In
Reset Password
Reset Password Instructions have been sent to your email succesfully Got It